Cunningham Park Gardens
Our gardens are living, breathing, educational learning centers and this year, many CPES students will spend time in them. To name just a few of our garden curriculum projects, our 5th graders will participate in an archaeological dig, our kindergarteners will grow pumpkins, and our 2nd graders will create a butterfly sanctuary and pollinator garden in the spring. Our Community Garden was originally funded with a grant from the Whole Kids Foundation, but its ongoing support and maintenance is provided for by funds raised by the PTA.
In 2018, our bird and butterfly garden was renamed as "Shirley's Garden" in honor of Shirley Ifft. For more than 20 years, Ms. Ifft welcomed all into our school as our Administrative Assistant. Because of her love of our school, flowers, and gardening, the bird and butterfly garden were renamed in her honor. Shirley's Garden, in our school's courtyard, will continue to:
- Support the science curriculum for all grades;
- Support S.T.E.A.M. education;
- Support 1st and 2nd grade bird and butterfly studies;
- Allow students to learn in an outdoor classroom setting;
- Create community spirit and pride in our school.